A type of Vitamin-E, it has been shown to induce cancer cell death in a number of ways.
And while studies with Tocotrienols have only gone as far as animal models, efficacy has been demonstrated in those experiments and they are known to cross the blood-brain barrier.
- Active Clinical Trials
The following is the brand recommendation of Dr. Heather Wright, ND, FABNO:
None currently available
Title: Tumor regression after systemic administration of tocotrienol entrapped in tumor-targeted vesicles
Summary: This study tested the amount of Tocotrienols that reach a tumor by attaching them to a particular molecule that cancer cells have a high affinity for.
- Delivery via this method led to a 100x increase in toxicity against the cancer cells than normal deliver methods
- In mice with implanted tumors (xenografts), attaching tocotrienols to this molecule led to tumor regression
- The treatment had little to no adverse health side effects on the animals
Title: Cytotoxicity and apoptotic activities of alpha-, gamma- and delta-tocotrienol isomers on human cancer cells
Summary: As there exist various types of tocotrienols, scientists tested each of them on brain cancer cells in the laboratory to see which type is most effective at leading to cancer cell death and found that the delta is most effective.
- All three versions (isomers) of tocotrienols tested led to cancer cell death
- The authors conclude: “Tocotrienols in particular the delta isomer can be an alternative chemotherapeutic agent for treating lung and brain cancers.”
Title: Alkaloid extracts of Ficus species and palm oil-derived tocotrienols synergistically inhibit proliferation of human cancer cells
Summary: In this study, scientists combined a particular compound (alkaloids) from a number of Ficus tree species with tocotrienols to see if they would work synergistically to kill cancer cells; and, they did.
- Together, both alkaloids and tocotrienols led to an increase in cancer cell death
- Also, they inhibited the ability of cancer cells to divide and multiply